Friday, March 03, 2006

Let's talk tourney

First of all, to clarify: if you live in the Chicago area, I do not expect you to mail me the entry fee unless you want to. Since I work downtown, if you live or work downtown I've no doubt that we can work something out, and even if you don't, I do have a car and can be flexible. For that matter, I'm not nearly as worried about the people who live in the area not paying up as I am about the out-of-towners - not consistent regulars like Tyler, Nemo, Rudnik, etc., but any possible new/newer people - and it's not that I'm worried, I'd just rather it didn't have the chance to even become an issue.

So far:

Confirmed registration
Jan
JQ
Nemo
Ryan
Rudnik
Tyler

"In" but not yet locked (just send me an e-mail to get onto the above list and off this one)
Craig
Drew
Dad
Stan

Possible? (Former contestants who haven't said anything for this year yet)
Justin
Rob R.
NU Dave
NJ Dave
Rich

I'm also keeping an ear to the ground for other possible interested parties, including Alma's Duke-fan sister and my Villanova-fan boss. It would be nice to get the field up over 15 entrants, enabling the last-place refund and, if we go over 16, a second-place prize. If you can think of someone who might be interested - remembering that by the rules of this tournament it has to be someone with whom I am at least passingly acquainted - let me/them know. More people = more prizes, and also more different brackets, which is also more fun.

Quickly, because I know how much you hate long entries, a little post about tournament possibilities to spur discussion. I have contended in conversations with Drew yesterday and my boss today that three of the four #1 seeds are dead-set locks at this point. Can you imagine a scenario in which Duke, UConn, or Villanova did not get a #1 seed right now? I sure can't. Memphis may have put themselves in jeopardy with the loss at UAB last night, but only because their conference is so weak (Duke's loss really doesn't do much at all to them). But here's the thing - who's knocking on the door of a 1 right now? Gonzaga's probably the closest (can you think of a #1 seed more likely to inspire an 8/9 pick in the second round? Besides Memphis, I guess), but their conference will make it a stretch. If Texas wins the Big 12 Tournament and beats Kansas and/or Oklahoma in doing so, they may have a case (especially if Gonzaga trips somewhere, though that seems unlikely). If Illinois or Ohio State wins the Big Ten Tournament, they may have an outside shot. Apart from those four teams, though, I can't imagine anyone else pushing for that last spot - and can any of these teams move up enough to charge at the top three? I'm not seeing it. Even if Duke, UConn, and Nova all lost this weekend and went out in their first game in their respective tournaments, I bet you they'd be #1s no problem.

Perhaps more importantly, doesn't this have you worried about 2s and 3s? How quickly would you be drooling over picking against, say, a 3-seed George Washington? Would a #2 Ohio State really fill you with confidence? #3 North Carolina? The top of the field looks so shallow that this could - could - be one of the best years for upsets ever. We'll see.

No comments: