Friday, August 26, 2005

The big 2-3

The upcoming birthday (Monday, the 29th, for those of you who had no idea) is not exactly a milestone, but it's the first birthday I've had on my own (not at a house owned by my parents, in other words). You may say "What about last year?" and it's true, last year I was on my own, but last year I was too much on my own - I spent pretty much the entirety of the day moving into this apartment (thankfully, no such effort will be required this year), and so I didn't get to enjoy the birthday or even the day at all.

Anyway, I'd been meaning to codify the things I want slash have been meaning to get, so I'll take this opportunity to do so, and you can all consider this the last-minute gift ideas portion of our program.

Doves, The Last Broadcast: I own their latest album, Some Cities, and it's pretty good. I listened to the sound samples for this one (their second) at Borders and loved what I heard, but ended up holding off on buying it. It's probably top of my list for the summer now that I've picked up Twin Cinema.

Fountains of Wayne, Out-of-State Plates: When I first heard Fountains of Wayne had a double album coming, I was ecstatic - then it turned out it was unreleased stuff and rarities. That's what's kept me from already buying it, but I own all three of their previous LPs so I'm getting this one at some point, it's just a matter of time.

The Reindeer Section, Y'all Get Scared Now, Ya Hear: It's not supposed to be as good as Son of Evil Reindeer, but I love everything Gary Lightbody has ever touched so far, so it's gotta be worth picking up.

Steve Burns, Songs for Dust Mites: I don't think most people took this album seriously when they heard who it was by, but honestly, it's got some really good stuff on it. Alma, who is a big Steve fan from his Blue's Clues days, burned me a copy a while back, but I'm actually not sure where it is - but more importantly, I like to own CDs that I really like if at all possible, and since this wasn't exactly a big hit, it could stand to sell another copy.

The Long Winters, The Worst You Can Do is Harm: This one came out about a year before When I Pretend to Fall, a very enjoyable album. Barsuk kinda rules as a label, doesn't it? By the way, I have never seen any of the last three albums in any store, only on Amazon, on the off chance that anyone is seriously using this for ideas.

The Truman Show Special Edition: One of my top 25 or so movies of all time, and it's coming out with a Special Edition? I'm sold! The old version was one of the first DVDs I bought, way back in 1999, so I'm sure the video quality will be a bit improved here. There are also some special features (including cut scenes), which the original version lacks. Might not be essential enough to buy myself, but I wouldn't say no to owning it.

The Simpsons - The Complete Fifth Season: One of those things that I don't own yet only because it's so inevitable that I'm going to I didn't feel the need to rush right out. Also, I've already seen all the episodes, after all. But I'm going to own the first eight seasons (at least) eventually.

The Simpsons - The Complete Sixth Season: Just came out. This one features my favorite episode ever (Lemon of Troy), plus several others in contention for the top ten (Bart of Darkness, A Star is Burns, and Who Shot Mr. Burns? Part One), and then a slew of other excellent episodes. Total must-own, for the last two of the season alone.

Star Wars Trilogy (Widescreen): Lucas' changes bug me a little, which is why I've resisted contributing money to this DVD set, but ultimately how can I not own such a great trilogy in the best (at least currently) format?

So yeah. That's all I've got right off the top of my head, but it's not like nine different people are going to be buying me birthday presents, and most of those who are probably know what they're getting me anyway. Like I said, this will mostly just serve as a reminder to myself once I actually have some money to throw around. So, 2009 version of me, happy 27th birthday!

No comments: