Sunday, May 07, 2006

This post brought to you by the letter L

The latest blog meme going around is "I give you a letter, and you write ten things relating to you that start with that letter." Alma gave me L. Ten things starting with any one letter that relate in non-non-sequitur fashion seems like a lot, but I'll give it a try.

Lame. These blog memes really are kind of lame, aren't they? But I'm kind of lame myself in many ways, and have certainly indulged in many past gimmicks, none of which had the potential to be as illuminating as this one unless you think finding out the names of 25 songs from my MP3 player passes for a fascinating examination of my thoughts.

Lost. Currently far and away my #1 "must watch" show on television. Today I was looking at the TiVo's to-do list and saw that no Losts were scheduled to be recorded, which made no sense since I know there are new episodes coming this and next week. I checked the settings, and it turned out I had it set to only save five episodes at once, but since I also have it set to "save until I delete" on all of them, it couldn't record more. Thank God I checked, because Drew and I usually don't start watching until 8:30 to skip the ads, and if it wasn't there I think he would have killed me.

Lift and Lemons. My favorite soda ever, and the fruit that makes it great. Of course you can only get Lift in Australia and New Zealand, and at this import store in Little Rock if you feel like paying like, a buck-fifty per can (I'll live, thanks!). Club Lemon is an acceptable but slightly subpar substitute that you can at least find at most Jewels. But I drank Lift near-constantly for three weeks in 2000. I can't believe there's no major market for a lemon soda in the US. Why orange and not lemon?

Left-handed. I'm really ambidextrous, as I write with my right hand and do certain other things with it (fork and knife, scissors), but a lot of that was forced in by pre-school and my lazy left eye - I am naturally left-handed. I throw lefty, swing a golf club lefty, and kick a ball left-footed. Many of my favorite baseball players over the years were left-handed; Mark Grace was my favorite Cub growing up, I'm a big Todd Walker fan, and I'm now a fan of Sean Marshall (who is just one day older than I am!).

Laziness. I'm easing out of this as I get a bit more into, how you say, "adulthood." But I still find that a large portion of non-work time is spent just kind of sitting (or lying) around, doing not a whole lot of anything. But to be honest, that's the way I like it.

Landed. Probably my favorite Ben Folds song right now (solo, at least). I can't say I've ever done anything of which the lyrics would remind me, but I love the music.

Lord Palmerston. England's greatest prime minister. Durr.

Languages. I find languages intensely interesting, to the point where I wish I was one of those people who just had the ability to pick up other languages like it was nothing. I still harbor desires to be fluent in at least a second language, but I put off the Tagalog tapes for a long time and now it's hard to find time to get back to them. Maybe someday...

Love. The woman who gave me this letter is, truly, the love of my life. I think a lot of people are probably like I was for a long time, wondering about the idea of a "soulmate" and worrying that they'd never find anyone quite right for them - and somehow I found mine on just the third try. She makes me happier than anything ever has. May you all be so lucky.

No comments: