Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Feel it hot, hot, hot

Memorial Day generally starts the summer movie season, but in Chicago it also usually seems to start the summer weather season. Case in point: this year. We had what, three 80-degree days all year, and then on Sunday it hit 90. It's also the time of year when I go from complaining about how unseasonably cold it is to complaining about how disgustingly hot it is.

It's not the heat so much as the humidity, I guess. But I came home today to an apartment that was at nearly 90 degrees, which is preposterous, since it barely got that hot outside and that was yesterday. Gross. I've got the fan pointing at me full blast right now but until Drew deigns it necessary to turn the A/C on (the latest that thing is going on is Thursday, because if it stays like this in the apartment I'm turning it on as soon as he leaves, and when he gets back Karen will either be with him or arriving shortly, and I know he's never turning it off when she's here) it's going to be pretty nasty in here, I suspect. Opening the windows just doesn't seem to cut it.

Speaking of the summer movie season (and also speaking of too-hot things), Alma and I saw The Da Vinci Code today at what has to be considered the Worst Theater Ever. Obsoive:

Cons:
1. No air conditioning.
2. No lights in hallway, making the whole place creepily dark.
3. Almost no toilet paper in women's room, according to Alma.
4. No stadium seating.
5. Floor beneath seats so covered in what was apparently butter that it was too slippery to walk on without steadying yourself on the chairs.
6. Sound bled over from next theater for part of the movie.
7. Just looked like a dump, which is funny because I'm fairly certain it hasn't been there that long.

Pros:
1. Ticket was four dollars.

Not worth it by a long shot, I have to say. If you're ever in Waukegan, do not see a movie at the Lakehurst 12 General Cinema. I wouldn't name the theater but I don't want anyone making the same mistake I did (which I think was "assuming that any movie theater with 12 screens must not be a complete craphole"). Drive the extra few miles to the Marcus at Gurnee Mills, which is hardly the acme of the modern theater-going experience but is plenty decent, especially in comparison.

And speaking of not exactly the acme of anything, Da Vinci Code? Kinda not good. Review ahoy. You can also check out my belated review of my DVD viewing of Grizzly Man.

No comments: