Friday, May 12, 2006

Like rain on your every day

It started raining Wednesday night. I didn't think much of it at the time; it rains often enough here. But then it rained all day yesterday. And it's raining right now. The forecast calls for rain all day today, rain tomorrow, rain Sunday, rain Monday, and then some rain on Tuesday, just to change it up. And guess what? After a single nice day on Wednesday, it is then supposed to rain next Thursday, next Friday, and next Saturday.

If I wanted to live in Seattle, I would have fucking moved there. At least none of this rain is what you'd call torrential, but I daresay I would rather have one day of torrential rain than a full week of any other kind. Of course, rain in Chicago is always horrendous no matter what kind it is, because it's combined with that delightful omnidirectional wind that renders umbrellas pretty much useless.

Also, as Drew just reminded me, it's barely in the 40s. In mid-May. So combine that with the rain and you've got some really fucking awesome conditions.

I have kind of a long-standing animosity toward the rain. I really don't like it. It has to be my least favorite weather phenomenon among those that are even remotely common in places I've lived. For example, I kind of like wind by itself, unless it's absolutely freezing. Snow is nice if you don't have to drive in it. Fog is awesome. I like mist, too, and technically that's rain, but I don't think that should really count. It's not rain unless you can hear it hit your coat.

It really comes down to this: I don't like to get wet while I'm wearing clothes, and I don't like the irregularity of the way the drops hit. It was said to me at least once, "How can you not like the rain when you spend so much time in the shower?" But in the shower it's a uniform, fast-moving stream of water, plus I'm not covered in fabric which will proceed to cling to me if I get too wet, plus the water is warm. If rain were 100 degrees Fahrenheit, especially when it's cold out, maybe I would feel differently. But that's not how it works.

The only non-disaster weather phenomenon I would like being out in less than rain is hail, but that doesn't really count because nobody wants to stand out in a hailstorm getting pelted. The advantage to hail is I've never seen a hail shower that lasted more than about ten minutes, although the last one here did manage to leave a small dent on the hood of my car.

No comments: