Monday, January 09, 2006

Bonnes Années

Just so you know, I wrote this after midnight and then deliberately set the date back to January 9 - Alma's and my second anniversary. (Drew, you can just stop reading right now.)

Two years. It's amazing how long that sounds thinking about it, and yet I'm always as excited to see her as I was on January 9, 2004, when we had dinner at Corner Bakery in Evanston (which isn't even there anymore!) and then saw Cold Mountain. Neither of those events was particularly scintillating in and of itself (I think I gave the film a B-, which was probably "just below average" in those grade-inflating days), but the important thing is who was with me - and who still is with me. I couldn't have known at the time that Alma would turn out to be completely perfect for me, and she told me later that I was initially just supposed to be a shorter-term, feet-wetting excursion into post-college dating (heh heh heh, gotcha, baby!)... but here we are, two years from that relatively inauspicious day, and I love her more all the time.

Baby, you're all I could ever have asked for; I love you more than anything in the world. Thanks for two wonderful years, and here's to dozens more.

(We now return you to your regularly-scheduled non-sappiness.)

No comments: