Monday, February 05, 2007

Snap poll, Federline edition

I assume you've all seen the Nationwide ad featuring Kevin Federline. (If not, here, recently arrived aliens.)

My dad was reading a Washington Post article where the writer described the music video sequence as a dream sequence. Originally, this was how I saw it too; the way the commercial is cut together seemed to imply that Federline was a burger-joint lackey dreaming of being on TV, but in fact only rapping into a security camera. My dad suggested, however, that the message of the commercial makes a lot more sense if you assume that the music video actually happened. Having watched it again and thought about it, I agree with him. If the commercial is about Nationwide annuities guaranteeing you income even if your cashflow suddenly dries up, it only makes sense that Federline was actually a star (or at least actually someone who had a major source of income) and lost that status, but could still do fine despite a minimum-wage job if he had used some of the money to fund an annuity.

My question is: how did you see it at first? Do you agree with the revised interpretation if you initially assumed it was a dream sequence, as I did?

No comments: