Friday, December 30, 2005

Our long national nightmare is over (again)

Justin, you old lifesaver. The same day that the new hard drive was installed, I downloaded a copy of the R-Undelete program that Justin had recommended in a previous comment - let me tell you, it cuts through those write-protection errors like a hot knife through butter. I wasn't able to get every last file - some of my MP3s didn't make the jump, and other files seemed not to have been found here and there - but the bulk of them survived, and as I already said, I got the most important ones. It's almost as if the computer had never gone down at all. I had to pay 55 bucks for the non-trial copy of the program (the trial copy can only download files up to 64kb, which isn't much use except to see if it will work for you), but if you consider that I almost certainly would have had to pay any recovery service that much or more, it seems worth it to me. Now to get that iPod up and running...

I may have neglected to mention in the last post that Northwestern's loss was due in large part to having not one but two onside kicks not just recovered by UCLA but returned for touchdowns, and, even more horrifyingly, by the same guy both times. What a special teams debacle. Of course, giving up 286 yards combined to two running backs who are not Maurice Drew, as well as utterly failing to build on the momentum of going up 22-0 on two interception returns for touchdowns in the first quarter, doesn't help a team win either. There's clearly a reason this team still hasn't won a bowl game since the Truman administration. Now let us never speak of this again.

No comments: