Friday, December 30, 2005

Computer update

New weirdness on the computer front. So the new hard drive came, and I installed it and Windows and all that. I'm typing this from my own computer, which is nice. Then I hooked up the old drive (Dell let me hang on to it, though they want it back after ten days) and tried to get my files off of it.

I can see all the folders and loose files in My Documents. But, for reasons that absolutely surpass my understanding, I can't copy anything that was created before June 9, 2004, nor can I open any folders that were created before that date (even if there are files inside them more recent than that). (At least that's the date I came up with based on copying over loose files by date modified and seeing when the last time was it would let me do it.)

Good news: this means that the two most important files from that computer - my movie rating database and my spreadsheet of finances - are intact and are now on the new C: drive.

Bad news: so what, I can't save anything else?

I assume this has something to do with the security settings I had on Windows on the old drive. The question is: does anyone computer-savvy (Justin, I'm looking at you) know if there's a way around this? Would even a data recovery firm be able to beat this problem, or are those ingrained settings going to kill me? I have to figure that enough people use passwords these days that there has to be a way around this, but if it only involves lasers, there's nothing more I can do here. Thank God I got the movie database file, though.

In other news - Jesus, does Northwestern ever suck. A 22-0 lead and you end up losing by double-digits (after allowing 36 unanswered points)? Fuck me.

No comments: