Thursday, November 15, 2007

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

I've been on something of a personal betterment kick lately, brought on by a recent mental breakthrough that I was holding myself back from maturing as a person for no good reason. As a result, I've been doing things like taking the garbage out regularly, beginning the arduous process of cleaning my room (about which more anon), and taking more control of my finances. Somewhat, although not entirely, related to this is the recent realization that I seem to have acid reflux; I'd been having minor chest pains for a while and chalked it up to muscle aches until a trip to the lunch buffet at the Indian restaurant in our building resulted in me eating too much too quickly and getting the same pains as a result. After a consultation with my dad, I decided to cut 99% of carbonation and 100% of caffeine out of my diet - so long, four daily Diet Cokes - and attempt to eat slower (only some success here so far) and in more moderate amounts (more success; I actually took home leftovers when Alma and I went out last Saturday night, which is probably the first time that's happened in ten years). This will probably also assist in the eventual weight loss goal, and probably in money-saving (I'm trying my hand at bringing lunch from home, which I estimate could easily save me 20 bucks every week).

At any rate, the payoff for this is that we happen to be in the midst of the single-busiest two-week stretch of the year at work. Probably not the absolute best time to give up caffeine - I was in the office for 13 hours today, for example - but you know what? I'm sticking to it. There's little doubt in my mind that six months ago - hell, six weeks ago - I would have gotten to Wednesday and then said "Fuck it" and pumped myself full of caffeine. And although part of me feels that way right now, I think it's better for me in the long run to stick to my guns, for a variety of reasons.

Just one more week, and then it gets easier...

No comments: