Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Go west, Old Men

I saw my first movie in theaters in months, No Country for Old Men, since it was the Coen Brothers and since it had been almost universally raved about by critics. Turns out... it's not really all that good. At least I didn't think so. The one positive is that it's actually got me a bit excited about film criticism again, and I'll probably try to see some more movies in the upcoming month or two as work is on the slower side and film hits its peak season. Tomorrow I'm hoping to steal off to the River East after work to catch The Darjeeling Limited before it packs up and leaves town (it's down to one screening a day, at 5:15, which works out well if I can get out of work on time) and then perhaps I can make a similar pilgrimage for Michael Clayton on Thursday. Those were two of the only movies of the fall season that really had my eyebrows raised, so catching them before they leave theaters would be nice.

To which I'm sure you might say, "Why see them in the theater?" The fact is that, in spite of its obvious cost disadvantage, I enjoy seeing movies in the theater. It's just an experience that can't be matched by simple home viewing. The good news for me is that neither Darjeeling nor Clayton is likely to have many people in the theater so late in the run. While I like the theatrical experience, I like the people-free theatrical experience even more. So, I'm a misanthrope. What of it?

Anyway, the review for No Country for Old Men is here. I've actually been engaged in a fairly lively debate with some backers of the film on the Rotten Tomatoes boards (needless to say, they feel I "don't get it"), which is something else that hasn't happened for a couple years now.

No comments: