Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Splish splash, I've been taking a bath

Netflix finally started letting people see their entire rental history without having to wait for a giant printout or something, so I took a look to confirm my suspicions. And the stats are:

42 months of Netflix membership
82 movies watched and returned

82! I figured the number was fairly low, but less than two a month? It's only just less than two, of course, and I may manage to watch two movies in the next week, but even so. Two a month works out to about nine bucks a pop, which may be only as much as a ticket would cost, but then I don't own a 200-inch TV. Really, I've been paying for the convenience; sure, it might be cheaper in the long run to have a Blockbuster membership, but Netflix has a much bigger selection and comes right to my door.

For comparison's sake, incidentally, Alma has watched and returned 86 discs (not all individual movies, but it works out about the same) in just nine months of membership. Ye gods.

If I weren't so stubborn I'd cancel the membership or at least reduce it, but I happen to have 17.99 a month and I like having three options at once, even if it frequently takes me two months to watch all of them. So whatever, I guess. I'll just try to keep it rolling for now. I've watched and returned five in the past week, a sixteenth of my rental total in a hundred-seventieth of the time.

Speaking of getting wet, I got on the bus this morning and headed toward the back, where I discovered that on the right-middle back row seat, there was a small patch of... well, I'm not sure I'm confident calling it water, so let's say "liquid." I sat down a couple seats away in a sideways-facing row. A couple stops later, a man and a woman get on and head for the back. Oddly, the guy seemed to point out the liquidy seat to the woman! I was about to say something, but before I could she practically threw herself into the seat, so it was too late.

I mean, once someone has sat down in a wet seat, what can you say to them? If you stutter out that the seat is wet, they'll wonder why you didn't try to warn them before. And certainly they're going to figure it out for themselves soon enough.

The odd thing is that this woman never seemed to flinch. Was she wearing Depends? Who knows. However, when they got to their stop, I did notice that she seemed, well, a little reticent to stand up. Big ol' wet spot on the seat of her pants? You'd better believe it.

To make this interactive... what would you do? The woman next to me, who had noticed the liquid and avoided sitting in the seat just prior to the other woman's fateful ensconcing, said nothing either, so I'm clearly not the only one with the tendency to clam up.

No comments: