Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Better living through earwax

An actual conversation that took place tonight:

Me: I guess I'm just a sucker for music with big major-chord flourishes, no matter what it is. Like Christina Aguilera's "Soar," for instance.

Alma: I have no idea what that is.

Me: ...you don't? That song I just downloaded?

Alma: Why would I?

Me: You were dancing to it the other night on the webcam!

Alma: I could barely even hear what it was!

Me: But you laughed when I started playing it! What did you think it was?

Alma: I thought it was that Christina Aguilera song you downloaded!

Me: ...yeah, that's what I said.

Alma: ...oh.

Me: What did you think I said?

Alma: I didn't understand the first part, it sounded like "Mark Belanger."

Me: What?? And how do you even know who that is?

Alma: What? That's a real guy?

Me: Yeah, he was the Orioles' shortstop in the 70s.

Alma: So, I didn't hear what you said, and just came up with a name that I'd never heard before, and it turned out to be a real guy??

A pretty weird coincidence, for sure, though I would say the odds are that somewhere in the deep recesses of her brain Alma had at least heard the name before. But she's right - of all the names to pull instead of "Christina Aguilera?" If she were going to hear some baseball player's name, she could have at least heard "Rick Aguilera." Or maybe "Teddy Higuera."

No comments: