Sunday, January 16, 2011

Airports again

Travels with Alma in December and January have yielded a total of eight new airports for me in the space of a month, taking my total from 45 (33 D, 12 I) when last I updated on 1/25/10 to 54 (42 D, 12 I) today (as I also added a new one in the summer). New airports in bold in the list below, with some explanation/discussion.

Domestic
ALB - Albany, NY
ATL - Atlanta, GA
AUS - Austin, TX
BOI - Boise, ID. Alma's ninth interview of the season, and sixth road interview, was in Boise.
BOS - Boston, MA
CLE - Cleveland, OH
CLT - Charlotte, NC
CMH - Columbus, OH
CVG - Cincinnati, OH
DCA - Washington National, DC
DEN - Denver, CO
DFW - Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
DSM - Des Moines, IA. Alma's eighth interview of the season, and fifth road interview, was in Des Moines. DSM came in the middle of a full week on the road and was surrounded by layover airports I'd been to before - we flew in from DFW and out to DEN.
EWR - Newark, NJ
GSO - Greensboro, NC. This one came back in December; Alma's first interview was up by Roanoke, VA, but it was cheaper to fly into GSO and drive the two-plus hours up to Roanoke than it was to fly into ROA. The airport technically knows itself as Piedmont Triad International Airport (I love that name), serving the triad of Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point, and it often refers to itself as PTI, which I think is just kind of confusing. Airports shouldn't be able to call themselves by three-letter names that aren't their IATA codes, don't you think? The PTI code appears to be assigned to Port Douglas, Australia, a small airfield in northern Queensland, so there's not much risk of confusion, but still.
IAD - Washington Dulles, DC
IAH - Houston, TX
ISP - Islip/Long Island, NY. Alma's fifth interview, and second road interview, was on Long Island.
JFK - New York JFK, NY
LAS - Las Vegas, NV. We had a few layovers during the Dec/Jan travel, but the only one that added a new airport to my list was the return from Boise to Chicago. I wasn't a big fan of Las Vegas - it does have Carvel, but it was crowded, noisy, seemed dated, and was large without having a lot of benefit to that size (our longest in-airport walk of the trip came between terminals here). Maybe I would have written that off if I liked gambling, but I don't.
LAX - Los Angeles, CA
LGA - New York LaGuardia, NY. The only new one of the past year that didn't come from Alma's interview trips, we flew in here in July for the week in New Jersey to see Man City play, among other things. My mom seemed surprised that LGA was a new airport for me, and perhaps it wasn't, but if I ever went through it before it would have been at a very young age and I certainly didn't remember.
MDW - Chicago Midway, IL
MKE - Milwaukee, WI. Mom was also surprised that I'd never used this one, but I'm pretty sure that was the case. We flew out of here in December to go to GSO because it was literally hundreds of dollars cheaper to drive to Milwaukee, fly back to ORD, and then fly from there to GSO than it was to just go to ORD and fly right to GSO. I cannot, for the life of me, understand how this makes sense - presumably United figures that most people who need to go ORD-GSO will simply suck it up and pay the 700 bucks, having no real option because most would not bother to drive all the way to MKE. But it still seems really strange to me. The one nice thing is that this enabled me to go on what I'm pretty sure was the shortest flight of my life, as MKE-ORD is less than 20 minutes from takeoff to landing.
MOB - Mobile, AL
MSP - Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
MSY - New Orleans, LA
OAK - Oakland, CA
ORD - Chicago O'Hare, IL
ONT - Ontario, CA. We flew in here for Alma's seventh interview, and fourth road interview.
PHL - Philadelphia, PA
PHX - Phoenix, AZ
PIT - Pittsburgh, PA. We flew in here for Alma's sixth interview, and third road interview. The Pittsburgh airport is amazingly huge for the volume of passengers it actually serves; it has so much land area that ORD and ATL, the two biggest airports in the country and world by volume, could both fit inside its borders. Yet it seemed pretty empty when we were there, probably because it has way more space than it needs for the people who use it.
RDU - Raleigh/Durham, NC
RIC - Richmond, VA
RNO - Reno, NV
SAN - San Diego, CA
SAT - San Antonio, TX
SEA - Seattle/Tacoma, WA
SFO - San Francisco, CA
SJC - San Jose, CA
SLC - Salt Lake City, UT

International
AKL - Auckland, New Zealand
BNE - Brisbane, Australia
CCS - Caracas, Venezuela
CPT - Cape Town, South Africa
JNB - Johannesburg, South Africa
LGW - London Gatwick, UK
LHR - London Heathrow, UK
MNL - Manila, Philippines
NRT - Tokyo Narita, Japan
SID - Sal Island, Cape Verde
SYD - Sydney, Australia
TBH - Tablas, Romblon, Philippines

No comments: