Monday, December 01, 2008

Quantum of DVDs

This is an odd post to be making on the heels of announcing my engagement, given that it's the sort of thing you'd probably expect a single guy to do instead. But I plan to take time over the coming months to do two movie-viewing projects which in some respects have been a long time coming.

1. Every James Bond film in order
I've seen all the films of Brosnan and Craig, but that's just six out of 22 total (which doesn't even count Never Say Never Again) and ignores Connery entirely. Alma's father and brother-in-law are both big Bond fans (unless I'm completely misremembering, Tyler is as well), so it seems like an appropriate time to rectify this blind spot, and hey, I get to make a series of reviews out of it! Sounds like a plan to me.

2. Every DVD I own
Movies only, or this would take a lot longer. Thinking on it, I own quite a few films on DVD that I have never watched on DVD - films that I saw in the theater, liked a lot, bought, and then never looked at again. Whether or not I would still love all these films is a matter of debate. So I get to make a series of reviews that involves me revisiting films I loved in the past, and deciding whether or not I still like them enough to hang on to them. And if I don't, I can sell them on eBay and actually make a tiny, tiny dent in the pile of clutter that is my apartment.

Before anyone says anything, I fully expect these projects combined to take at least nine months to a year. That's 22 Bond films (probably by the time I near the end Quantum of Solace will be out on DVD, and yes, I just saw it, but the point is to go in order to see exactly how the franchise has evolved, since at present I'm ill equipped to answer that) and I forget exactly how many I own but it's gotta be at least three dozen and quite possibly over forty. The odds of me watching more than one movie a week with any regularity aren't great while I'm still doing both work and school, which I will be the entire time, so I'll try to hold to something approximating that schedule. In other words - especially since I'm about to leave the country for the best part of a month - if I'm done with the two projects by New Year's 2010 it'll be something of a minor miracle. Just think of me as a cut-rate Nathan Rabin.

Comments? Suggestions?

No comments: