Wednesday, November 05, 2008

With apologies to Snow Patrol

Take back the country for yourself tonight
I'll take back the country for me
Take back the country for yourself tonight
Whoa oh oh

God knows you've put your life into its hands
And it's both cradled you and crushed
But now it's time to make your own demands
Whoa oh oh

It's a mess, it's a start, it's a flawed work of art
Your country, your call, every crack, every wall
Pick a side, pick a fight, but get your epitaph right
Or you can sing 'til you drop, 'cause the fun just never stops

I love this country tonight
I love this country always
It bares its teeth like a light
And spits me out after days
But we're all gluttons for it
We know it's wrong and it's right
For every time it's been hit
Take back the country tonight.


We did it. Now let's just look forward to four (or eight) years of governance that we can actually be proud of for a change.

No comments: